Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Be the first to know the latest updates

Business

Jarange begins fast as 30k supporters bring traffic to a halt in south Mumbai

Jarange begins fast as 30k supporters bring traffic to a halt in south Mumbai

Mumbai: The hunger strike launched by Maratha quota activist Manoj Jarange at Azad Maidan, which brought Mumbai to a halt on Friday, is set to continue Saturday with the police extending permission for one more day. However, the largely peaceful protest is set to become more combative with Jarange accusing the govt of closing toilets and tea shops to deny food and water to activists food. He warned they will retaliate in equal measure and also attacked CM Fadnavis.“This is the final fight. Either the govt will kill me with bullets or I will die in the hunger strike,” said Jarange, whose agitation which demands Kunbi (OBC) status for the Maratha community comes shortly before local body polls due this year. Around 30,000 Maratha protesters converged in the city in a show of strength. Govt did not send a delegation to meet Jarange. However, earlier in the day, Fadnavis said, “We are supportive of the agitation because such agitations are a part of democracy. We are following court orders… A path has to emerge through talks.” The agitation will pit the Maratha community, said to number around 30% of the state’s population, against OBCs who are much larger in number. While NCP, Congress and NCP (SP) have a large Maratha following, OBCs are mainly with BJP. OBC groups have already announced a counter-agitation and this polarisation could benefit BJP.


source

admin

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Latest Updates and big deals

    Our expertise, as well as our passion for web design, sets us apart from other agencies.

    Btourq @2023. All Rights Reserved.